Discover Martinique not only for its impressive nature and beaches but for its diversity of flavors! This excursion has a lot to offer including a guided visit to the church of Balata, the ruins of Saint-Pierre and more!
Quest for a unique adventure at a rum distillery and beach break. Your meeting point for this Martinique Excursion is just a short distance from either of the cruise ship piers. Your English speaking shore excursion guide will be waiting for you. Then after you get checked in and receive a briefing about your day and climb aboard your comfortable and air-conditioned transportation (in van or minibus for maximum 18 customers). You will be driven through the Caribbean coastal road.
The first stop would be the Neisson Rum distillery located in Le Carbet. This is a family owned distillery since 1931 and has preserved the tradition of Martinique components for rum. They are famous for their white rum and you will have the chance to see the rum process. Enjoy a taste and also have the opportunity to purchase a bottle of your favorite one! The next stop will be the Carbet Beach, a wide beach with calm sea, transparent waters and black sand. You can relax while looking at the sea, at the Mount Pelée or maybe refresh yourself by swimming a bit. Then it would be time to go to the ruins of Saint Pierre. Once destroyed by the volcano, it was partially rebuilt on the ruins left. You will have the opportunity to take some pictures here. You will be able to admire the scenery and the majestic Mount Pelee as you pass by. You will be then at the foot of the volcano where Saint Pierre, the “Little Paris of the Antilles” is.
Then you will continue following the Route de la Trace to delight yourself with Martinique’s nature. The next stop it is on to the Gendarme Waterfalls, some said the waterfall took its name because of the policemen and their horses stopped here for refreshment. Gendarme is French for mounted police. You will have to do a very easy and short hike to arrive at the waterfall, once there you will be charmed not only by the tropical forest but also by the clear waters of the waterfall.
Then, the next stop is the Alma River, you will see the abundant tropical rainforest. It’s time to board your transportation again and visit an amazing sight of the tropical foliage mixed with this fantastic building, the Sacred Heart Church, also known as Balata Church. This church was built in 1924 and it’s a replica of the church you can see in Paris (Sacre Coeur de Montmartre), built on a scale of 1/5th of the original. It’s said that this church was built to congregate the Catholics at the growing Fort de France after Mont Pelee eruption in 1902 and destroyed Martinique’s capital, St. Pierre. Also, the church is dedicated in memory to those who died in World War I.
Finally, it will be time to return you to your Martinique cruise ship terminal at 2pm.
- Price: 65€ adult / 45€ children under the age of 10.
- Air-conditioned, fully licensed and insured transportation
- Pickup at your Fort de France cruise ship pier (or hotels/rental places in Fort-de-France and Schoelcher for free)
- Bilingual English-French speaking shore excursion guides (other languages upon request)
- Complimentary spring water local juice, rum
- Duration: 5 hours Departure: 9am (can be modify according to customers and ships arrival – please send us an email before).
- Capacity: 18 passengers maximum.
- Tour guide: English (other languages available upon request, especially for families or group).
- We require a minimum of 4 passengers to run a tour. If the minimum is not met your tour may be cancelled. If you are alone and you want to book please contact us by email first.
- Pick up and drop off at the cruise exit without extra cost for all the ports of Fort-de-France.
- send us an email on in order to let us know on which cruise ship you will be, or, where you are based if you are staying on the island. Pick up and drop off will be free in Fort-de-France and Schoelcher. An extra cost will be applied if you are in other towns.
Canceled by client prior to excursion date with a minimum of 5 Days prior notice by email. Your ship skips/misses the port. Weather conditions or equipment failure prevents the operator from running the excursion. Cancellations refund requests that do not comply with the above may not be subject to refund. Refunds may be subject to a service charge fee as determined by the payment processor (usually 5%). If you are late you are considered as a no show and you will not be refunded.